Monday, December 11, 2006

Gotcha Day !


We left for Tianjin around 9:30 and after a two hour bus ride and a closed exit, we finally made it to Ai Ai. We were rushed into a very small room to put our bags down. We were lead out into a dark hallway and there she was. Needless to say, it was nothing like I thought it would be. The people were very nice, but they showed little emotion. They just nudged her toward us and she just stood there looking at us. The girls hugged her and I knelt down and looked at her eyes wondering.....Who is this little girl....tell me something... anything that will make this transition easier for you. She was scared. It was akward. They introduced us to her one by one. Then in all the akwardness, the caretaker said, "She can dance, too!" Ai Ai did not want to dance, but the caretaker took her hand and they started to do the cha cha cha. After that, the orphanage director wanted us to get our bags out of her office and leave. I wondered how they felt seeing Ai Ai leave. She has been there for so long (4 years). Ai Ai's teacher was very sweet. She spoke a little English to us and she seemed to be comforting Ai Ai . She did not cry. There was no hugging, no waving good-bye...nothing that I noticed. We all walked back to the bus and went to McDonalds. I never imagined I would be going to Mc Donalds right after I met her, but it did break the ice. She had a great time with Sophia and Chloe. They were laughing and smiling. We ate a spicey chicken sandwich and I was in a daze. I can't put into words how emotional I felt, but there was no where for the emotions to go. Later, we went to a clothing street and food street. It was very interesting with many little shops side by side. We haggled down the prices and made people mad because we were so cheap! You go Sue (my mother-in-law) She could hold her own on the price wars! Tony goes into the shopping experience with his guns drawn and ready. He starts at the lowest price and holds tight. They get very mad at him. He is speaking Chinese so well. Ai Ai has a special liking to him because they can communicate. We met with Robert M for a great Chinese dinner. He is our contact from Ai Ai's orphanage. He is from Mississippi! Robert has been very helpful in understanding the Chinese way. It was very nice to eat with him and we were able to ask him many questions about life in the orphanage. Today we go back to the orphanage for a ceremony of some sort. This morning Ai Ai had a bath and she put on her new clothes. She seems to be adjusting pretty good. She smiles a lot like Josie! They seem a lot alike. Aimee

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kohanski Family!
We finally logged on today and read your entire blog. What a wonderful thing to be able to share your experience with everyone. Congratulations on Ai Ai. She is beautiful.

Your house is fine. Let us know if you think of anything you need us to do.

Love,
The Browns

P.S. Shelby says hello to Chloe and Hallie says hello to Sophie.

Pam said...

She is beautiful! Look at all that hair.

Captain Life said...

This is too cool. She is just precious. Following this story is fantastic. Looks as though the trip is going well and especially the food options seem lushes. By the way my cuzs name is Al Melliei. Love you all and see ya soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tony and Aimee:

Finally saw the update information from your blog. I have wondered what's going on with you and Ai Ai. She looks just like her picture and I really can understand what you felt of her orphanage.

You have my cell number and please feel free to call me if you need anything I can help here. I can't wait to meet all of you in GZ this weekend.

Love, Lily

Anonymous said...

Tony & Family, beautiful little girl. Aimee needs to write a book. Her decription of the day was so vivid.
Congratulations !
Mike Glass

Anonymous said...

We are following along, and praying for this time of transition. It's hard on a child that age - we are still adjusting with Elli, after 3 months home. Feel free to email me (scott.graves@insightbb.com) if you have any questions or just need a listening ear!

Blessings,
Kimber Graves

Anonymous said...

Good Morning to Tony, Aimee, Sophie and Chloe!

I have been anxiously awaiting for another "update" and I'm so happy to read this. Aimee, it does sound like your initial introduction was a bit abrupt. It's going to be interesting to talk to her down the road and get her perspective of it and to hear how the orphanage prepared to meet you. You and Tony are so gentle and sweet that I know that Ai Ai is not going to have a hard time at all bonding with you. It's going to be just great! We can't wait for you guys to come home!

Rachel sends Sophie and Chloe and big hug.

We love you!
Giovanna

Anonymous said...

Hi Kohanski's,

I cried as I read yesterday's blog. What a frightening time for a child! But...to see your wonderful smiles, I am sure helped. We are so excited for you all! We can't wait to meet Ai Ai; Amy, you know how Drew will feel! :) You all are in our prayers; God is doing mighty things through your family.

Love,
Cindy Jackson

Anonymous said...

Awwww....she is just beautiful!! I know your initial meeting her was not what you'd expected, but I'm sure you'll all look back and at some point she'll be able to share all she was feeling. I know God was also in the midst of your time with her as she looked up into the eyes of her momma and baba for the first time! We'll continue to keep praying for her adjustment and to know your love for her. HUGS, Anita

Anonymous said...

I still have tears rolling down my face as I type this. What an absolutley precious description of your first meeting. When my kids came over and saw the picture, Isaac and Micah immediately said " Ai Ai!!"
We are praying for your transition, your travel and for God to bless your family in a way no man could ever imagine!! We can't wait to meet her!!

Natalie Fettig

P.S. Chloe, Brianna wants me to tell you to have a great time in China, and she can't wait until you come back!

Lisa Smith said...

Aimee,

What an exciting day for your family. Just wanted to let you know that Josie had an awesome day! She was a great rester and got a treat! :)
Love,
Mrs. Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hello Kohanksi's!
I really can't stop crying. Aimee, you should write some kind of memoir of your experiences with Josie & Ai Ai. Its amazing! You are so blessed! God is so incredibly good. Keep writing, Please!
Love Tracy Barreiro

Anonymous said...

Oh my I can't imagine how awful that must have been for all of you. YOu are such a hugging family and to have that sweet little girl with all those adults that she has been with for so ong and nothing said or done. I am sure by now she knows she has hit the jackpot with your family. Keep hugging her. love sunt sue

Eddie Poole said...

Kohanski's:

I just wanted you guys to know that you've been in my thoughts and prayers while you've been gone. I'm excited for you. Ai Ai is beautiful and I know the experience has been amazing. I know that she is a special girl and thank God that she is gaining such a wonderful family!