Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Story Continues

Ai Ai's Chinese Grandparents gave me this beautiful bouquet of flowers !
Here is a picture of Ai Ai's Chinese Grandparents, New Parents (Tony and Aimee), and Ai Ai

This is Ai Ai and her Grandparents in our hotel room!


This is the orphanage where she lived the last 4 years.



This is the whole family the day before we got Jin Ai.




The 3 girls all laying in bed together.




This is our translator and guide "Suzan." She is very helpful!






Above are a variety of pictures of (our tour guide) Susan, the orphanage Jin Ai is from, and some of the family. The first 3 pictures are of Ai Ai's Chinese Grandparents! The story continues below.

Now the rest of the story ..........

After we left the orphanage, Ai Ai started talking alot to our tour guide. She told her that she had a mom that was lazy and did not want her. Her mom wanted to marry a man and they wanted to have a child. She was left at the local department store because you can only have one child in China. Susan, our guide, thought someone at the orphanage must have told her that story. She was so young when she was abandoned how could she remember? We were told she was three when they found her. Anyway, then Ai Ai said she has a momma that works in Beijing and a grandmother who lives in Tianjin. We were all very confused. I was wondering if it could be partly true because when we went to the food and clothing street earlier she was very familiar with the location. Could it be that she has been with these people walking around the city? So, Susan, our tour guide said, "Did your momma and grandmother get very sad when you left the orphanage?" Ai Ai said, "Yes, my grandma cried. She left me her phone number in my writing tablet and when I tried to call the number, my new momma (Me) told me no." I did tell her no, but I thought she was just playing with the phone. Right when we got back to the hotel she wanted to call her grandma. We decided to let her. They had a long conversation and Ai Ai told her where we were staying and our room number. This is where it gets very interesting. We had a translator from the front desk of the hotel help us with the phone call. We found out a lot of information about Ai Ai over the phone, but it was when her grandparents came to the hotel that it was overwhelming! This is Ai Ai's story. Her grandmother and her daughter(They are not her real realatives) were at the local Tianjin Department store and they found Ai Ai all alone. They tried to find someone that possibley new Ai Ai or new why she was left. Basically, they just wanted to find help for this little girl. They took her to the police station and the police officer took her to the orphanage. The local newspaper put an add in the paper for 1 month. They were hoping that someone would come forward and claim this littl girl. No one did. After that time, Grandmother and Mamma kept in touch with Ai Ai for four years. They had the opportunity to take Ai Ai into their home at least 3 times a month. They have kept her overnight on many occasions and celebrated holidays with her. She has been a big part of their family. Her grandparents even tried to adopt her, but they said they did not qualify for adoption. They even shared pictures of Ai Ai t they had taken over the last 4 years. Grandma said, "This one was taken in October of 02 when she was one." I looked at the picture and Ai Ai looked very young. She looked like a baby of 1.5 , or 2. She did not look like a 3 year old to me. Her grandparents told us she just turned 6 and Ai Ai tells us she is 7. Her birth certificate will say she is 7. One year is not a big difference to me, I just wish I knew for sure. Whether she is 6 or 7, I am glad we have her in our arms! We then went out to eat with the grandparents, three other Chinese people, and Ai Ai. We had a chance to hear all the things Ai Ai likes to do and that she likes to keep moving by dancing and jumping. It was a very moving experience. They gave us pictures of themselves, their home address, and e-mail. They want us to make sure that we keep in touch with them. They love Ai Ai. When it was time to leave, her grandmother cried and I cried. We just held each other and cried. She kept saying Thank you, Thank you for giving Ai Ai a better life in America. She was very heartbroken. It was a moment I will never forget. One mother giving her child to another mother. I know she is not her birth mother, but she was the next best thing to Ai Ai. So Ai Ai has been loved. I don't know about the first few years, but I know the last four years she has been. The saddest part to me is that she has a mother that gave birth to her, then a grandmother that loves her, and now me. I hope God is saving the best for last. I really want to be the best mother she could ever wish for.

12 comments:

Dyer Family said...

We are so excited to be able to follow your story. We pray for you every day. We have especially prayed for communication not to be a problem. Chloe, Matthew is so sorry he missed your phonecall the day you left. We can't wait for you all to come home so we can meet Ai Ai.

florence said...

That is the most amazing story! God is so good to have preserved this phone number in her book all these years and for her to desire to reach out to her grandmother before she leaves China. I can't imagine how you must have felt calling her and finding out information about Ai Ai (that you probably would have never gotten otherwise). And then for you to be able to physically meet and talk and take pictures... Just amazing! What a gift God has given you. I know everyone is just soaking this up and will bring home so many memories that will last the rest of your lives.

Aimee, how is your back? Better, I hope.

Take comfort in this verse today: "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed; for His compassions never fail, they are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness!" Lam. 3:22-23

Love,
Florence

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee - All I can say is WOW!! Whoa and the tears you've brought again today. I tell you I love it when you see God's hand moving SO profoundly that there is NO mistaking it's HIM! What an absolutely awesome blessing for you to meet AiAi's family and to share this experience with them as well as for their blessing on her and you as her family. I'm sure it was a wonderful closure for AiAi too in many ways. Oh I can't wait to meet her when you get back and to see this new miracle in your lives!! HUGS, Anita

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at your pictures daily. They are so amazing! I even showed my family. My husband got choked up when he say Ai Ai laying you in the bus. Wow... how moving! I am praying for you guys! Ai Ai looks so happy with her new sisters. Can't wait to see you guys!
Love the Barreiros

Anonymous said...

hi Kohanski's, this is Rachel Ropiecki, Aubrey's mom, I have been following your story along with the Browder's, I'm not sure my heart can take any more joy or sorrow in the same day! She sounds like a fabulous little girl, you are so blessed to have a little girl who knows love and wants it! And how sweet are those girls?! They are going to be great friends!

Anonymous said...

Aimee,

To me this is a huge miracle because you've been able to obtain information about her that not many adoptive parents have access to. Ai Ai will be able to maintain her connection with her culture/language through this other "adoptive family" and this is great too because this is something I know you want for her. As she grows she will be able to continue communication with them and who knows what that will lead to.... it could lead to wonderful things! Maybe one day she will lead many in China to Christ! I don't know! I know I'm thinking big here but... God is bigger than BIG! His purposes and ways are astounding and wonderful. WOW!

Anonymous said...

Aimee, God definitely saved the best for last...You are the best mom for Ai Ai. She will love her new family and have a testimony that will bless everyone. I am so excited to meet her, and my family has been LOVING the photos!! We pray for you everyday. Love, Marsha

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I can't imagine what you all much have been feeling. You will give her a new home and a loving home. I am going to go back and read everything again. Ai Ai is just beautiful. All your girls are beautiful. love again, aunt sue

Terry Allen said...

You will be great parents. Love never fails!

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed reading about your adventure! My mom and I really love the pictures,and are praying for you and your new family.I know you will be the best mom you can be to her, she is so blessed to have been adopted by you all!She's also lucy to have such great sisters to look up to,and a great chrirstian family.

P.S Tell Chloe & Sophie I said Hi!

Anonymous said...

Hey the Kohanski family,

This is Alix Campbell here. Iam so sorry that Stich died that is heartbreaking. Well Chloe Call me when you get home cause I want to see you and your new sister and your family.
Love,
Alix Campbell

Pam said...

That is such a touching story. I'm glad that she has those good memories and that she will be able to stay in touch with them.